March 9, 2021
Dear EMCSD Community,
This Saturday marks one year since we physically closed our campuses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This virus has impacted everyone’s lives, but in true EMCSD spirit, we adapted and faced the challenges together. Thank you for your unwavering commitment and support. I’m grateful to have such a dedicated and supportive school community.
On Monday’s Board Meeting, we presented a comprehensive reopening plan to gradually reopen our schools in a hybrid learning environment starting on Monday, April 19, 2021. Our decision to reopen our schools was based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to: health and safety upgrades made to our campuses, the expansion of access to a vaccine, and LA County trending towards the Red-Tier, which the Department of Public Health expects us to enter this week. After reviewing our Parent and Staff Questionnaire comments, we believe we have developed a reopening plan that best addresses our school community’s needs.
Spring Reopening Plan - Parents will have the opportunity to choose whether their children will either remain in Distance Learning or elect to return to school in a Hybrid model. The goal will be to keep students with their current teacher to limit disruptions to student schedules, something many parents and teachers highlighted in their questionnaire responses.
Our plan features a phased reopening schedule to allow our students and staff the opportunity to properly acclimate to being back on campus, all while following physical distancing and safety guidelines. The reopening plan is as follows:
- PALS/ TK/ Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade will return on Monday, April 19, 2021
- Headstart will have a STAGGERED opening beginning Tuesday, April 20, 2021. (The Headstart Department will share more information.)
- 4th, 5th, and 6th grade will return on Monday, April 26, 2021
- 7th and 8th grade will return on Monday, May 3, 2021 (reliant on LA County’s Color tier system - more updates to come as we monitor LA County’s color tier status)
What’s next? - Over the next few weeks, families can expect to receive more information on their individual school’s reopening plan, which includes:
- School Reopening Overview video
- Reopening Presentations by your school Principal (week of 3/15). The presentation will include:
- Safety Protocols
- Campus entry and exit points
- Classroom, bathroom, restroom, recess protocols, and more.
- Details on instructional schedule
- A commitment form will be shared on Parent Square that gives families the opportunity to either opt-in for the Hybrid model or remain in Distance Learning for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year (commitment forms will be released following your school’s presentation)
I want to thank you for your continued support of the El Monte City School District. Your partnership has been monumental in our efforts to continue serving you and your children. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to my office at (626) 453-3798.
We are looking forward to welcoming back students to our campuses soon!
Dr. Maribel Garcia