Enrollment » Permits Applications

Permits Applications

There are three (3) types of permits that El Monte City School District (EMCSD) offers; they are Intra-district, Incoming Inter-district Acceptance Permit, and Outgoing Inter-district Release Permit. To qualify for either type of permit, your child must be enrolled in an El Monte City School District school.


To find your homeschool, please use our school locator tool.


What is an Intra-district permit?

Transfer from one EMCSD school to another EMCSD school.


Intra-permits are approved space permitting at the requested school site, pending approval by the requested school and the leaving school.  Priority is given to students whose enrollment is complete. Students accepted into a DLI program who live in EMCSD do not have to complete the intra-district permit.
The student's enrollment must be complete in order to apply for an intra-district permit. This is done at the student's home school. Please be aware that not all sites and grade levels will have availability. Requests are determined based on space availability.
  • Transitional Kindergarten students are assigned to their school of residence unless the program is full. In that case other schools in EMCSD are an option for families.
  • Intra-district transfer requests are granted based upon space availability, siblings, student conduct, and attendance.
  • Parent/guardian assumes responsibility for providing transportation to and from school.
  • A student on an approved intra-district transfer may be subject to reassignment due to excessive enrollment at a school site.
Once an elementary student is granted an intra-district transfer for the school requested, they will attend the school(s) until the completion of 6th grade, if enrollment space exists, and if the student meets all transfer conditions.
An approved intra-district transfer may be revoked at any time if there is false information on the transfer request form or if a student demonstrates unsatisfactory conduct and/or attendance.



What is an Incoming Inter-district Acceptance Permit?

Inter-district Acceptance into an EMCSD School when the student belongs to a District other than EMCSD. This requires District approved release from the resident School District to begin. Students accepted into the Dual Language Immersion program who live in a different district must be released from the home district first.


Provisional enrollment will be granted until the permit process is complete. Families interested in attending an EMCSD school has 60-days from the first day of school of your home district to secure a permit to continue attending an EMCSD school.


To receive provisional enrollment, please contact or visit your school of choice in EMCSD.


If you are interested in enrolling your students in the El Monte City School District for the upcoming school year but do not live in our attendance area, below are the steps to acquire a permit to join our district. 

  1. You must request a release from your "home" district through an "inter-district" permit by contacting their main office. 
  2. Complete an EMCSD Incoming Inter-District Permit Form, which can be obtained by visiting our district office between 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. 
Space in our schools is limited and in high demand, so start your Incoming Inter-district Permit process now!


What is an Outgoing Inter-district Permit request?

An Inter-district Release Permit Request is when a family is requesting a release from an EMCSD school to attend another school District. To qualify for an Inter-district Release Permit, the student must complete enrollment in EMCSD to request an Outgoing Inter-district permit and requires District Approval. Completing an application and providing all the required documentation does not guarantee approval of the permit. Falsification of information will result in a revoked permit. Outgoing Inter-district permit request timeline is below:

April 9 - May 3, 2024 Permit Application window. 

May 3 - June 17, 2024 Permit Application Window will open. 

Permit applications related to the parent's employment will be the only applications accepted beyond this date. 

Please note that permit processing is not available during the month of July.

Processing will resume on August 1st.


August 1 - August 15, 2024 Permit Application window will open.  

Inter-district Permit Application (Outgoing Transfers)

Solicitud de Permiso Español/Inglés (traslados saliendo del distrito)

Permits will not be processed during the month of July. To streamline our processes and ensure efficiency, please avoid making multiple calls to inquire about the status of your application. Rest assured that our team is working to process all applications, and making multiple calls takes time away from the process.



High School Students:

For high school inter-district permit requests, please contact the El Monte Union High School District.