Enrollment » Permits


*Please note during the month of July, no inter-district permits will be processed. Processing will resume on August 1, 2024.*

Want to be part of a nationally recognized and award-winning school district? We are here to help!
If you are hoping to enroll your students in El Monte City School District for the current or upcoming school year but DO NOT live in our attendance area, below are the steps you can take to acquire a permit to join our district.
  1. You must request a release from your "home" district through an "inter-district" permit by contacting their main office. After obtaining a release, it must be submitted to our district office.




An inter-district permit is considered according to the Board Policy of the El Monte City School District. All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Many of our schools provide before/after school care and additional programs and services that are considered when reviewing the inter-district permit application. Supporting documents for the reason (s) stated must be included. Completing the application and submitting documents does not guarantee approval of the permit. Please refrain from making multiple calls to inquire about the status permit; this will only slow the process. 

Reminder: During the Month of July, NO inter-district permits will be processed. Processing will resume beginning in August 2024.
Inter-district permit applications can be picked up at 3540 Lexington Avenue, El Monte, CA  91731.  Specify the reason for the request and include any documents to support your reason(s). Applications received without proper documentation will be considered incomplete and will not be processed. 
Timelines for processing a request: 
  • For an inter-district transfer request for the 2023-2024 school year, EMCSD will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request.
Following a decision, an El Monte City School District representative will contact you to pick up your permit or notify you in writing of the decision. Denied inter-district permits to transfer out of El Monte City School District may be appealed to the Superintendent.  Following the district's decision, a denied inter-district may also be appealed with the Los Angeles County Office Of Education within 30 days of the final denial notice. 
The inter-district permit application can be dropped off at 3540 Lexington Avenue, El Monte, 91731, Monday through Friday between 8:00 am - 4:30 p.m. For questions, call (626) 453-3700. 


High School Inter-district Permits

Contact the El Monte Union High School District at (626)444-9005. 


Requests for the next school year (2024-2025) will be accepted starting March 1, 2024.